Lower back, popularly known as the lumbar region of the body plays a major role in our body movement, provides structural support and protects the tissues. Any pain or muscle strain in the lumbar region hinders the body movements. It reduces your efficiency, which in turn makes it difficult to accomplish even the routine tasks.
Being the body support system, it is quite difficult to survive with an injured spine. Therefore, when it comes to your spine, it becomes even more important to save it from any accidental injury or natural pains.
#21 Lower Back Pain Facts You Should Know
In this article, we have enlisted 21 simple facts related to lower back pain:
- Lower back pain is the leading cause of disabilities throughout the world.
- Americans spend more than $50 billion annually on the treatment of this disease.
- It is an estimate that around 80% of the population suffers from this disease.
- The chances of lumbar pain increases as the personage. Moreover, if the person is already suffering from this pain, there are chances that it will increase with age.
- Lower back pain can start at a tender age. However, the maximum chances of falling prey to this disease are lies at the age of 35-55 years.
- 50% of the working population of the country gets admitted to the hospital due to significant symptoms of back pain and discomfort.
- 90% of the people that suffer that from back pain show symptoms of acute pain and they get back to a healthy life within six weeks of the treatment.
- 7% of people who suffer from acute back pain develop a chronic condition.
- Lower back pain remains to be the most common reason behind taking leaves from the work.
- Only less than 5% of people suffering from Lower back pain develop a chronic condition that needs surgical procedure.
- Most of the prescriptions written in the country include lower back pain as the major suffering.
- It is the third most common reason behind surgery.
- The budget for cancer and lower back problems is similar in most of the countries.
- It is the second most common reason for visiting the family doctor.
- People who are unfit or obese are more likely to suffer from this disease.
- The primary reason behind lower back pain is mechanical; related to muscles and joints.
- Muscle and ligament strains are the basics that cause lower back pain.
- People who suffer from lower back pain show limitations in keeping social, recreational and family outings.
- Chronic back pain causes psychological distress, depression, and anger. However, those who suffer from acute back pain are less likely to face such problems.
- Usually, pain is worse in the morning and gets better with stretching and other activities.
- Most of all, lower back pain is just an underlying symptom behind muscle imbalance and mechanical problems.
It becomes easier to deal with the pain when you know the reason behind it. The help and support come in handy when you are aware of the cause. Consult your physician and try to locate the underlying reason.